Finished Basement Checklist #3
- Use 5/8” ceiling rock (4’ x 12’ if possible-less waste and lower costs) | Cost to Finish a Basement Maple Grove.
- Use 1/2” wall rock (4’ x 12’ if possible-less waste and lower costs) | Finished Basement Cost Maple Grove.
- If ½” Strong Rock is available for the ceiling, use it.
- Corner bead should be clamped or mudded on, NO nails.
- Corners and around tub should use Dura-Bond instead of standard mud, this makes those areas stronger and water resistant.
- Nail the edges and screw the inside of the drywall | Basement Remodeling Maple Grove.
- Drywall should not touch the concrete | Basement Renovations Maple Grove.
- Drying time in between coats is required; at least one day or more if its humid, the surface must be dry but also underneath.
- Use fans in each room to move the air to help with the dry time | Basement Remodel Cost Maple Grove.
- Use a vacuum attached to the sander when sanding the walls | Basement Refinishing Maple Grove.
- Use sweeping compound on the floor when cleaning up dust and then shop vac everything.
- Ceiling is always installed perpendicular to joists and the walls are installed horizontally.
- When sanding the drywall, turn off the furnace.
- If possible, spray all varnish and sealer. The finished product is 100% better.
- Stain is to be brushed on and wiped off with a rag | Finished Basement Ideas Maple Grove.
- Always putty the nail holes before the varnish is installed | Basement Finishing Maple Grove.
- Instead of using standard varnish for the final coat, use catalyzed lacquer, which is a much harder product that will last forever.
- Once all woodwork is completed, it must be taped and papered off. Do not allow any freehand painting and cleanup the mess later.
- If possible, enameled woodwork should be sprayed on, all joints and nails must be caulked | Basement Contractors Maple Grove.
- Walls are not paint ready after the drywall is sanded, much more work is needed. After priming walls, all scratches, dents and blemishes must be spackled, sanded and re-primed before painting, if walls are eggshell, do it again, and use a halogen light shinning at an angle to spot these problem areas. More time will be spent on wall preparation than actually painting | Basement Remodeling Maple Grove.
- If all the trim work and cabinets are delivered unfinished, install them first before finishing.
- Use midrange to high quality paint.
- With knock down ceilings, it must be painted with ceiling white paint and tinted if needed. Paint must be sprayed and not rolled. It must be sprayed; one coat in each direction or lines will show up.